Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hope comes in different forms

Everett has had more energy each day while being severely neutropenic (having a very low immune system). I am thrilled that he talks more and wants his freedom again. I expected him to be more sick as the chemo went on. But, apart from our Thursday clinic visits at Riley, his desire to walk and color is increasing. The past two Thursdays he has received a spinal tap with two different chemo drugs each time. His last visit he also received blood. Thankfully his blood type accepts all others. My count is off on the numbers of platelets and blood transfusions he's had...he was a very sick boy when he first made it to Riley.

Ev has been home 9 days now, which is a big blessing. I can't help but think that his response to the chemo and the days he's been home are due to the prayers said for him. Even though this situation sucks, we can't ignore the blessings that are happening around us. And, I don't want to ignore them either.

While I write this, Ben and I are enjoying the outdoors. We found some food outside the door waiting for us...a bag filled with a meal and tons of ice cubes. I just might be more thankful for the ice cubes right now as we smash them against the concrete and trees. For Ben, this is a great time of fun with mom. For me, I am trying to relieve some anger that I still have. Sorry, neighbors for the avocados you may have found in your yard last week...my aim apparently is not that great.


No comments:

Post a Comment