Monday, June 9, 2014

Whew!

On June 3rd we went back to Riley for our monthly visit. Ev had another spinal tap (how many is that now?! I think I'm glad I haven't kept a tally) and Ben went with us. Ben has gone to clinic many times before, but not on the days of a spinal tap. The awesome nurses entertained him with cartoons in the adjoining room during the procedure. Once we were settled in the same room as Ben, he came over to see his brother. I had to take a picture.


Ben didn't have to wear a mask at this point, but continued wearing it so he could be Dr. Ben. I can't imagine how confused Ben might be on all of this. We talk about it and read about it, and he understands a great deal, but its complex and not simple. (By the way, Ev always sleeps off the sedation for about 30 minutes after the procedure). It was a simple and peaceful moment, and I loved seeing the concern and love from one brother to another.

The much dreaded June 4th came and went with no semblance of the darkness that we endured the year before. Jeff and I both were stuck in an anxious anticipation of the day...not because we believed that the day held bad fortune, but we couldn't stop our minds from replaying the first few days of Ev's fight against cancer. Once June 5 came, the torment of reliving painful moments was gone. Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment