Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Phase 2: Consolidation

I had built up the events of today in my mind before they had happened and before I knew their validity. Ev has been doing so well (acting like a normal healthy toddler) the past 2 1/2 weeks and I knew that today could change all that. I was trying to prepare myself for the reality rather than what I want. What I want day in and day out right now is not going to happen. Taking it step by step and owning up to what my life is right now (and what it means to all of us) is the most beneficial and ultimately, the most rewarding.

Today was long, we spent nine hours in the "hemoc" clinic at Riley's. Ev was brave and strong. He received three chemo meds in the spine and more chemo through IV, via his new port. He had his moments of anxiety, fear and anger, but also he colored, laughed and even played with his doctor a bit. Usually Ev is quite reserved with the nurses and doctors, so the fact that he can see past the pokes and other owies is wonderful.

I suspect that Ev's energy and desire for playtime will lessen as we get deeper into this next phase. He had built his ANC to 2400 during his "vacation" (hemoglobin was normal and his platelets were building back up) and it showed in his behavior. Now it's time to attack the cells again.

For the next 57 days Ev will be taking a different regimen of meds. We will be going to Riley every Tuesday and hopefully not staying overnight (truly...there is no place like home). So, here we go again...

No comments:

Post a Comment