Monday, August 17, 2015

Is that a bluebird on my shoulder?

We made it to Vermont! It was a great trip and none of us wanted to leave. Ev wanted to turn right back around and Ben cried himself to sleep for a few nights after getting back. It sounds sad as I write it, but it wasn't. It was wonderful to share a place Jeff and I love with our boys and then for them to now share that joy with us.

A few days before we headed east Ev was diagnosed with asthma (likely to be childhood asthma and not last for his entire life). I accepted the news with partial joy because I knew something else was going on, and now we had an answer. When you are fighting cancer, almost all other health issues point right back (whether the illness itself or side effects from medicines or procedures). Asthma is a completely separate issue. I actually enjoyed dealing with a lesser health concern...the meds are less and more simplistic, our time in the office was faster, and there were no pokes, dizziness, nausea, etc. Asthma feels like a skinned knee.

In preparation for our trip we had a list of notable hospitals that we could go to if needed and we, of course, had our own little pharmacy in our car. I was beyond overjoyed to have made such a trip without any medical drama. What a blessing!

My prayer is always that Ev would get what is needed no matter how messy and crazy that looks. I prayed with even more fervor on this before we left. And my prayer was answered, again. It's never how I think, but always in a way that humbles and blesses me and my family in ways that bring tears to my eyes and leaves me speechless.

Now, we are on our 4th day of school. Ben is at a new school and loving it while Ev is at home doing preschool with me.

As I think about the happenings of this year I don't have that hidden layer of anxious doom beneath the surface. I genuinely feel positive through to my core. It's as if I am walking Ben to school with a bluebird on my shoulder...for the moment I have found myself in a Disney movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment