Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Birthday first, maintenance phase next

We went to Riley yesterday to begin the maintenance phase, but Ev's counts were too low. His ANC is 192 and he needs to be at 750. I was a little relieved actually because we are celebrating his 3rd birthday this Saturday and I think he will be able to enjoy it more now. (We have to keep an eye out for a fever, but this is always the case. So, it doesn't loom over our heads quite as much as the cocktail of fever, chemo meds and its effects.)

It's hard to plan anything when you have a sick child. We don't plan too much and when we do, we know it might be cancelled moments before or even in the midst of it all. Even when you accept this reality it's still an unwelcome guest every time. So, when it came to Ev's birthday we had to take a guess on when to celebrate it and in the back of my mind I am thinking about how we can celebrate it in the hospital if necessary.

I want to control this, but I can't. What I can control is that we are going to make this fun no matter where we are and what is happening. The joy in our hearts that we have being able to celebrate Everett's birthday this year cannot be taken away. The thought is still raw in our minds of how close he was to not making it to the age of 3. But, he did...so we will party! HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERETT!





No comments:

Post a Comment