Saturday, October 5, 2013

Not lucky

I am fond of taking personality tests. So, when I saw a fun one on Facebook today, I took it and found that I am many things, but foremost, I am lucky. Well, crap...I guess I can't believe the description. First, I consider "lucky" to be on a message found in a fortune cookie and second, no, I am not.

Yes, I am aware that these descriptions hardly tell us the truth about ourselves, but I still get intrigued to see what people come up with.

Today has been rather unlucky for us...little things that by themselves are not so bad, but piled up...I am just glad today is over. A note to that...thanks to the Ronald McDonald house I was able to do a load of laundry (those boxes secured next to the cash registers at Mc D's...well the money helps in many ways, but now we smell good too).

We've been in the hospital for 5 days now. It was predicted that it would be 3-5days, so we aren't too far off. The part that messes with my sanity is that Ev's body was doing awesome at getting the methotrexate out of his system and then all of a sudden his body decided to slow and then chill out.

So, we have two blood tests a day to check on his levels and then he takes a med that helps build up good cells. This evening his fluids were bumped up, so a diaper change every hour is a realistic possibility.

The nurses had to re-access his port because the needle slipped out. His skin started to swell with fluid. Ev found it uncomfortable, but he wasn't in pain. And, even though he didn't want to deal with any of it...a Dum-Dum at the end seemed to make it all go away.

Hopefully by morning more of the chemo will be flushed out so we can go home and be a family again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Laura -- hang in there with your sweetie. I can't imagine everything you are going through, but thank you so much for letting us know. We think about your family and little guy a lot. Just having to learn how to spell all those awful medicines is painful in itself.

    ReplyDelete